Buttonwood Property Management Inc. is a boutique family owned business specializing in the Greater Toronto Area.
Properly managing your home or real estate investment is one of the most important factors in maintaining property value and securing your investment. Our personal touch to doing business allows us to be innovative and flexible in tailoring our services to meet your custom needs.
You can rest assured that we will care for your property as if it were our own…
At Buttonwood Property Management we have the Experience, Resources and Systems to help you respond quickly and cost effectively to the realities of owning and managing rental properties. We specialize in end-to-end management of residential dwellings including condominiums, townhomes, single-family homes, duplexes, triplexes, multiplex units and commercial properties in the Greater Toronto Area.
It is our goal to make this as easy as possible – we take care of everything for you.
Contact Buttonwood Property Management today for your free no obligations consultation we look forward to serving you.
We are at your service…Expect nothing less…
Our two most popular Residential Property Management offers:
If your property is vacant - we’ll find and place a tenant free of charge with a property management contract. Talk about value proposition it doesn’t get better than that.
2 Months Free:
If your property is already tenanted – we’ll waive our property management fees for 2 months. Great for those with tenanted properties who are done with the day-to-day hassles of managing rental properties and want to test drive before buying.
1. Location: Neighborhood Authority & Type (Is the neighborhood up and coming, established, speculative…)
– For Houses; lot size, street location, direction, lot shape, parking availability and how many parking spots for a single family home…
– For Condos; unit size (older building with large two and 3 bedroom units versus newer ones that tend to be much smaller…)
– For Houses; Kitchen location, Stairs location… are a couple of items to consider among a list of other minor indicators we look at.
– For Condos; Split bedroom layouts, ceiling height… are a couple of items to consider among a list of other minor indicators we look at.
– For Houses; Backing or facing a park, ravine, trail…
– For Condos; Water view, city view, floor level, balcony/terraces,…
5. School district and proximity to good hospitals with the aging baby boomers.
6. Condition: Is the unit in good condition, requires remodeling and touch ups, or major renovations are required.
7. Facilities & Amenities: To include a major park for example (or) common element facilities in the case of a condominium.
8. Demographics Maturity: Type of residents and maturity of investors.
9. Safety: Safety of the neighborhood or perceived safety
10. Walk Score: Ability to run errands and live life without a car.
11. Proximity to major highways, grocery stores, restaurants and shopping malls.
12. Proximity to the city
Note: The Toronto real estate market specifically that of the Greater Toronto Area continues to be a seller’s market with premium properties getting multiple offers. As a buyer we recommend you get a mortgage pre-approval so that you have few conditions in place and submit a solid offer when bidding. We work with you every step of the process to help ensure you have a solid offer and coordinate the details for a successful closing.
• While this is taking place we ask the home residents not use the washrooms, showers or sinks until the City have sent in their staff to assess the source of the flood.
• We also move quickly and coordinate with a restoration company to prevent or reduce further property damage.
• We document the incident by writing a report and taking pictures. We also arrange with your insurance provider, check coverage and submit claims on your behalf.
• Copy of incident report and receipts of all work done on the property will be available on our Owners Log-in portal.
• Always remember extreme caution is recommended when cleaning up flood damages and we recommend always to hire a professional to take care of it when possible.
Important information to remember when applying for subsidies:
1. Select a contractor with a valid City of Toronto license
2. If installing a back water valve the City of Toronto will cover 80% of the invoiced cost to a maximum amount of $1,250
3. When installing a sump pump, the City of Toronto will cover 80% of invoiced work up to a maximum of $1,750
4. For foundation drain pipe severance and capping the City of Toronto will cover 80% of invoiced work up to a maximum of $400
1. Most Condominium Boards have rules against short term rentals such as AirBnb due to security reasons. If the Condo Board finds out your unit is being rented on short term rental sites and you are considered in violation of the Condo rules, the Board could bring forward a legal action against you and you will most probably have to cover the Board’s legal fees.
2. If a tenant rents out the unit on short term basis (such as using sites like AirBnB) they may be in violation of the Ontario Residential Tenancies Act since a tenant is not allowed to sublet a unit they are renting for an amount higher than what they are paying in rent to the Landlord. In most instances the short term daily rental rate these units go for is an amount higher than the rent paid to Landlord.
3. If a unit is rented on short term basis insurance premiums may go up. Failure to notify insurance company of short term rentals may deny you coverage when needed.
4. Make sure your lease has a crisp clause about short-term rentals and sublease.
1. You must have smoke alarms installed on every level and unit.
2. Should there be any fuel burning appliances and/or attached garages, carbon monoxide (CO) detectors must be installed adjacent to all sleeping areas.
3. The Fire Code stipulates that “no person shall intentionally disable a smoke or CO detector so as to make it inoperable”. This includes painting a detector, or any heat sensors or red pull stations. A tenant or any other person who intentionally disables or painting over a detector/pull station is guilty of a criminal offence and may be subject to a fine.
4. Landlords are to test the smoke alarms and CO detectors once a year. It is advised that tenants test alarms and detectors once a month.
Never do a quick or express screening! You have to be very thorough in your tenant screening exercise.
The two most common cases of tenant fraud are:
1. Employment letter fraud: You shouldn’t accept a letter of employment from applicant at face value. Make sure to call the employer and speak to the Human Resources department to verify the employment history including salary, start date and expected continuance of employment. Try to find the company and phone number online as an extra step that you are not calling a friend of the applicant pretending to be a company.
2. Credit report fraud: Do not accept credit reports ran by the applicants. Run your own credit report through one of the credit reporting agencies.
Also make sure you call past Landlords. Even though sometimes you cannot really verify you are speaking to the physical owner of the property but it is nevertheless an important step as some Landlords will be upfront about the rental history and other insights that will be helpful in your screening.
For more information watch our 5 Steps Video on how to screen tenants in the Greater Toronto Area.
“Thank you for taking care of our real estate investments in Downtown Toronto. We are pleased with the professional services provided and very affordable fees. Highly recommend your service to any investor looking for a great management company to take care of their property.”
“Thank you Alex for taking care of everything for us – from finding us a property with high ROI, to facilitating the financing and staying ahead of all the challenges we faced as international investors in closing this deal. Impressive service thank you very much for going over and above!!!”
“Very experienced always return calls promptly and take care of everything a landlord would usually do. Has been a pleasant experience renting with them.”
“Affordable service with a focus on quality. You have to meet the staff to understand how honest and straight forward the team at Buttonwood Property Management is.”
“Buttonwood property management team is highly dedicated, knowledgeable and trust worthy. You made the whole process stress free and smooth. Highly recommend your service with no hesitation.”
“You have done an excellent job in renting my property quickly and filtered tenants to retain only the best. Thank you for doing a great job in such a short period of time. You allowed me to leave the country assured that my property will be well taken care of. ”
Real Estate Wealth Over Time
This is the change real estate investors in the Greater Toronto Area have been waiting for!
or call us (416) 835-7191
Latest Rental Properties
1600 sq. ft
1000.1199 sq. ft
1150 sq. ft